- Course Approved under the US Coast Guard
- Compliant under STCW Code (2010): Section A-V/2 & A-V/3.
- Internationally recognised under IMO Model Course 1.28
- Comprehensive Set of Course Notes
- Certificate Valid for Five Years
- Fully Online Learning & Assessment
- Rapid Turnaround on Certification
- Flexible Learning at Your Own Convenience
- Cost-Effective Means of Learning
- Consistent Quality Level of Delivery of Training
About the Course
Crowd Management training is required for all personnel designated to assist passengers in an emergency on board a vessel. VIRSEC have recently upgraded this course that also meets with the required subject matter based on the guidelines of IMO Model Course 1.41, this includes, but is not limited to:
- Assessing the situation and providing an effective response.
- Leading and directing others.
- Identifying signs and symptoms of excessive personal stress, and the stress response to others.
- Understanding that stress can affect performance and the ability to act.
- Being aware of the reaction patterns of passengers and other personnel in emergencies recognising specific behaviours of passengers and other personnel.
Aims of the Course
This course is STCW Compliant and adheres to the MNTB’s Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiency (KUP) in the use of all techniques, information and equipment supplied to deal with an emergency, including familiarisation with all safety aspects of the ship and the ability to effectively communicate with passengers and fully prepare them for an emergency. This course has the following crew-training aims:
- Control a crowd in an emergency situation on board.
- Locate essential safety and emergency equipment on board.
- Communicate effectively with passengers during an emergency.
- Demonstrate the use of personal life-saving appliances.
- Comply with the ship’s safety and emergency procedures.
This course covers the minimum standard of competence for: Masters, chief mates, chief engineers, second engineer officers and any member of the crew assigned immediate responsibility for embarking and disembarking passengers, for loading, discharging or securing cargo, or for closing hull openings and any other person having responsibility for the safety of passengers in emergency situations on ro-ro and non-ro-ro passenger ships, cruise ships and luxury yachts.
The course lasts for approximately 6 hours depending on the learner’s abilities and reading speed. However, you can enter and exit this course as often as you require but you must complete the final assessment in one sitting as it will reset if you exit during an assessment phase. Please note that this course covers the theory part only of the full training, and any physical drills must be conducted when joining your vessel under the supervision of the relevant crew and / or staff.
USCG Course Assessment Requirements
Under the US Coast Guard Approval, there is a mandatory requirement to undertake a Course Assessment. This Assessment must be invigilated via a Remote Invigilation Session (RIS) with VIRSEC. This is a free of charge service offered Monday to Friday (working days only) at specific times. This is covered in detail on the course itself, and how to arrange your Invigilated Assessment.
To discuss pricing associated with bulk purchasing of this online STCW’78 Crowd Management & Passenger Safety Training Course, please contact us at email@example.com or call us during UK Office Hours (0900 to 1700hrs BST/GMT Monday to Thursday, and 0900 to 1500hrs BST/GMT Friday) and we will be very happy to assist you.
- Introduction to Shipping Legislation
- STCW 2010 Requirements
- Safer Ship Operation
- Life-Saving Appliances and Control Plans
- Assembly and Emergency Embarkation
- Mustering Procedures
- The Psychology of Emergencies
- Design and Operational Limitations of the Ship
- Operating Hull Openings
- Legislation & Codes affecting Ro-Ro Passenger Ships
- Stability & Stress Requirements
- Special Equipment Maintenance
- Loading & Cargo Securing
- Dangerous Cargo Areas
- Emergency Procedures
- Life-Saving Appliances
- Case Studies: Tragedies from Maritime History
- Presentation of Past Maritime Tragedies
- Analysis of Mistakes Made
- Key Learnings & Recommendations
United States Coast Guard [USCG] Approved Certification
This online course is fully Approved by the US Coast Guard [USCG] and is provided in Partnership with the US-based Resolve Maritime Academy. Upon successful completion of your course and Assessment, you will receive an electronic version of the USCG Approved Certificate.
This certificate confirms that student has successfully completed an online Crowd Management (RESOLV-142) Course and will satisfy the Crowd Management training requirements of 46 CFR 11.1105(a)(1)(i) and (ii); AND the Crowd Management training requirements of STCW Code Section A-V/2 paragraph 3, as amended 2010; AND the safety training requirements of STCW Code Section A-V/2 paragraph 2, as amended 2010; AND the Crowd Management standards of competence required by STCW Code Section A-V/2 paragraph 3 and Table A-V/2-1, as amended 2010.
If you wish to receive a hardcopy version, there is an additional charge of £30 +VAT for administration and postage of the hardcopy. Payment for this will be sent via a secure payment link and we must receive confirmation of payment before we will process a hardcopy certificate.
VIRSEC are dedicated to delivering only the very highest standard of cost-effective, flexible, online training to our customers.